Friday, October 28, 2016

Pumpkin Carvings Inspired by Books

If you're like me, you've waited a bit longer to carve your pumpkin so that the darn thing doesn't shrivel up and die before Halloween.  Every year I look for inspiration when carving my pumpkins and every year I'm marveled at the creative minds that reinvent this tradition.  Gone are the days where you carve out simple geometric shapes to make your basic pumpkin.  Now the designs are getting more and more elaborate.  Such creative carvings might be a turnoff for some folks, but I'm willing to bet if you're a book lover, you'll see these designs and get a whole new appreciate for your favorite book and those wicked cool pumpkins.

If you're interested in where to get these designs, I pinned most of them on Pinterest.  Take a look here.

Harry Potter

Source


Source




Lord of the Rings


Source


Headless Horseman


Source

Where the Wild Things Are


Source

True Blood

Source

The Hunger Games


Source

Frankenstein


Source


Game of Thrones

Source

Cool huh?  Aren't these fun?  Well, I'm not sure which one I'll do.  I'm kind of partial to the Harry Potter eyes and scar one since it seems a bit easier to execute.  Anyway, wish me luck.  Have a great weekend.

Mina Burrows


5 comments:

mshatch said...

oh boy, those are all waaay too elaborate for me. Whatever I do it's going to be simple.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I wish I could post a picture in the comments because our German exchange student carved an awesome Harry Potter jack-o-lantern in her first ever attempt at pumpkin carving.

Unfortunately, it was so elaborate and delicate, it faded fast. Now Harry's face is just a shriveled mess.

There's something to be said for the old triangle eyes and nose and semi-circle smile!

Michelle Wallace said...

These are too cute!
I love that True Blood image...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good luck with the carving. I remember seeing a really cool Death Star pumpkin. No way I would attempt it though.

DonnaGalanti said...

These are AWESOME! One year I did Dracula's castle. Very hard but very cool!