Wednesday, February 4, 2015

ISWG: Keeping up with Life & Inspiration

Insecure Writers Support Group is here for February!  Last month's hiatus couldn't be helped so I apologize for not giving you all a proper New Year's welcoming.  That said, I'll move along to IWSG brought to you by founder and Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh.  This month's co-hosts are Gwen Gardner, Dolorah, Sarah Foster, and M. Pax!


ISWG:  Keeping up with Life


The past two months (December and January) flew by, and I've marveled at how quickly the days come to pass.  I'm still processing the last few months even though they're gone, asking myself, "What just happened?"  Frankly, it's a little scary.  My insecurities this month centers mostly around time management.  I realized that I often take on too much and there in lies the rub.  My resolution for this year it to be more realistic of life dramas, workload and family/friend expectations and do a better job at managing them.  I need to say no more often so I have time to settle my mind and of course write.  This might sound simple, but it is something I struggle with.  Send me good vibes that I may conquer my inability to say "no" and be able to manage life better.

Anyway, there were two things that caught my eye this past month that I wanted to share with my writer friends.  One is this quote by one of my favorite writers, Joss Whedon. See below and see the rest of these quotes in this article, 25 Quotes That Will Inspire You To Be A Fearless Writer.




In addition, I'm posting this awesome video I saw on Facebook.  My apologies for not remembering the source.  I can't remember who shared it with me.  I know it was one of my author friends and since I can't remember, then I'll just thank you all and pass it along.  This is a timeless one.  In this video, Ira Glass of "This American Life" talks about the building blocks of a great story.   Enjoy this boost of inspiration for all those struggling with their writing or those who are new this maddening adventure.



Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.

That's it for IWSG.  What about you?  What are your insecurities this month?

Have a great rest of the week!

19 comments:

Cathrina Constantine said...

I believe the clocks are ticking faster these days. How do we slow them down? I wish I had an answer. Perhaps, making lists and crossing out your goal is a nice feeling.
Set small goals and then you'll accomplish the bigger ones. Good Luck.

Tamara Narayan said...

Time management has been my problem as well. All my time has gone to caring for sick kids, cat, and sick self. Enough with the sickness already! I need to get back to work.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's hard to say no, especially when it involves other people, but we have to for our own sanity.

The Happy Whisk said...

Hope you find it in you. It's really not that hard, I swear. Just two little letters n and o.

If you want to change, you will.

Best and boogie boogie.

mshatch said...

I have a hard time saying no but sometimes you just have to. Love the Joss Whedon quote - so true - and I've heard the Ira Glass video on NPR before. Very inspiring.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing the video. I do think it's important for artists to be reminded it's okay if they don't nail it right away.

It's fine to say "no," especially if it means you're saying yes to your sanity!



Lidy said...

It really is hard to say 'no,' yet in my case it's the not being able to stay away from the distractors and not letting them consume my writing time. But I am getting better now that I've started doing a reward system for myself. Get a certain amount of writing done, then I can go off and check out the latest drama recaps or manga chapters. Not before.

Rachna Chhabria said...

My insecurity this month is also about time management, doing too many things and maybe not being able to do justice to them.

Elise Fallson said...

I remember seeing that video a while back and had forgotten all about it but it's something we all need reminding. I'm so glad you posted it. And yes, saying 'no' is sometimes really difficult. It feels great helping others, but if you don't put aside time for yourself and your dreams, you'll end up living your life for other people. Sending you a ton of good vibes!!! <3

randi lee said...

I can certainly relate with the inability to say "no." I'm actually just now learning how to do it! Positive vibes are coming your way in the hopes that you'll be able to put yourself first sometimes :) :)

Laura Clipson said...

I love that quote, isn't that why we all write?

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Good vibes being sent your way in droves!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I had become an expert at managing my time when I was a full time teacher, a writer of novels under contract, a wife and a mom. Even one of my fifth grade students asked me, "When do you sleep?"

When I left teaching last June, I suddenly lost my ability to manage time. Theoretically, I had so much more of it to work with. In reality, I spun my wheels and got nothing done. Looking back, I think I was depressed. I left teaching by choice, but it was still a pretty big life change -- an identity change, in fact.

Entering 2015, I think I've come to grips with my new identity and my new "work day." Here's to positive energy and efficient use of time in 2015 -- plus joy whenever possible!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Mina -- To pass your "verification" and post the prior comment, I had to select all the coffees out of a series of pictures ... WTH? That is one I've never seen before. What has Blogger done now?

I wonder what I'll have to do to post this one. The suspense is killing me.

Heather R. Holden said...

Good luck! I struggle a lot with time-management, too. There just never seems to be enough hours in the day to accomplish everything!

Tammy Theriault said...

love the quote. mina my dear - you are a peach!

Margo Kelly said...

Time ... it has been FLYING by lately!!! I have no answers (yet) to that issue, but I love the quote you shared! THANKS. :)

cleemckenzie said...

Since I started writing, time vanishes. I no soon sit down at my computer in the morning, than it's time make dinner. Thanks for Ira Glass video.

worddreams said...

Wonderful quote. That is why I write, too--to discover, research, uncover, understand. Somewhere along the way, I get the book finished.

Well, not yet, but I'm planning to.