Monday, April 14, 2014

A-Z: Classic Monsters: King Kong & Lock Ness Monster

It's another week of the A-Z Challenge and today I'm featuring a double post for the letter K & L.  In the realm of classic monsters,  we can't forget the monster that still makes us go ape sh**, King Kong.  And for the letter L, I'm feauturing by special request, The Lock Ness Monster.


About King Kong, the original film


From Wikipedia, "King Kong is a 1933 American fantasy monster/adventure film directed and produced by Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack. The screenplay by James Ashmore Creelman and Ruth Rose was from an idea conceived by Cooper and Edgar Wallace. It stars Fay Wray, Bruce Cabot and Robert Armstrong, and opened in New York City on March 2, 1933 to rave reviews."

I hate to admit this, but I wasn't a big fan of the original.  *Runs for cover*  I think the visual graphics of the film were cool, but beyond that...bleh.  Sorry, I couldn't get into the the monster-ape wants the blond bombshell angle.  And sadly, because I was never a fan of the original, I neglected to see the Hollywood repeat released in 2005.  So, was the remake as good as the original? Anyone?

Even though it may not have been my favorite, there is no doubt this monster was a classic one.

L is for the Loch Ness Monster


The Loch Ness Monster, a.k.a. Nessie, hails from the largest body of fresh water in the Scottish Highlands, the Loch Ness.  There have been numerous sighting over the years about this dinasour-like beast but the question that haunts us all is does it exist?  The lastest news from the Daily Mail UK reported recently about a monster hunter sighting.  "After two years of patiently scanning the loch, Mr Feltham says he finally caught a glimpse of Nessie, as the monster is known... but he didn't have his camera to hand."  WHAT?  No camera...for shame!

Do you think Nessie exists?  It's possible, right?  I saw the documentary on that body of water they like to call a lake.  Here's a snippet of the National Geographic show.  It sounds convincing, huh?  Do you think Nessie is a classical monster?

The Truth Behind : Loch Ness Sightings






Do you have any monsters you think would have been better to feature?

11 comments:

S. L. Hennessy said...

I've wanted to go to Loch Ness to visit Nessy for as long as I can remember!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've stood on the banks of Loch Ness. It does have an eerie feel to it.
I'm a big fan of Peter Jackson, so I thought the remake was just as good.

djinnia said...

king kong! i feel sad for him. poor ape.

i would love to go see loch ness. i would definitely forget to push the button on the camera though. in the excitement.

Sophie Duncan said...

I did enjoy the original movie, but you did not miss anything with the remake, it was overly long and did not add anything to the original IMO :)
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

klahanie said...

Hi Mina,

I believe King Kong has moved in next door to me!

As for the Loch Ness Monster, Ogopogo the monster of Okanagan Lake can kick Nessie's butt! :)

Gary

Ava Quinn said...

I'm a fan of both of these monsters. I'm equally ashamed to say that I didn't see the 2005 remake and in my misspent youth liked the 1970's remake. And I agree, I really liked the look of the ape in the original, but I don't think I've ever seen the whole thing.

And I've always wanted to see Nessie!

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

I've been on the King Kong ride at Universal Studios back in 19991 - was fun :). Can't say he's a fav monster of mine, but I like the black and white movie when it used to show on TV when I was small.

As for Nessie, I don't think there is one - the currents in the loch produce some amazing wave heads and having watched a stag swim across, it's easy to mistake one thing for another :).
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Loved watching King Kong as a kid.

Great movie that holds up well today.

--
Timothy S. Brannan
The Other Side, April Blog Challenge: The A to Z of Witches

J.L. Campbell said...

I'm half-way convinced the Loch Ness monster is real, but then again...

Anstice Brown said...

I can't see the documentary clip in the UK unfortunately. I've always thought it's possible that the Loch Ness Monster exists. Loch Ness is so huge, and I think I read something once about it having lots of underground rivers that could lead to the ocean. I suppose in theory it's possible for some prehistoric animal such as a plesiosaur (or something evolved from it) to have survived there and bred-after all, crocodiles and other reptiles have survived from that period. Who knows? I would like to think it's real. I went there about ten years ago and I didn't see anything, though. Boo.

~Tizzy @ Creative Therapy

Udita Banerjee said...

Nessie definitely exists. Have you seen the movie 'The Water Horse'? It's very nice. Also, you might want to correct 'Loch' in the title of your post :)