Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tagged Twice! The Next Big Thing

I've been tagged twice recently.  WOW!  Isn't that nice?  One was by one of my fav and talented author friends, Donna Galanti.  The other was from dear author friend who has a great blog and name, Mina Lobo.    Thanks you guys!  If you get a chance, minions, please stop by and check out these fantabulous authors!  
In The Next Big Thing, I'll be featuring one of my works in progress, Mystic Deeds.  Below are the questions so...


What is the working title of your book?
Mystic Deeds, but I'll probably end up changing it.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
It started with this idea of two siblings (brother and sister) that were incredibly close--but not weird-close, who were powerful/magical, immortal beings.  I wanted a different take on magical paranormal romance.  I get so tired of the books like feature magic or sorcery one way only. Anyway, here's a synopsis:


     The City of Vard on the planet Merth was a place where Svenians lived immortal lives, able to freely practice sorcery. It was a city of peace and prosperity until the Black Barons unleashed a plot to bind all Svenian powers, forcing innocent lives into a world of servitude. Only five escaped, finding their way to Earth to bide their time until the Oracle’s predicted “day of reckoning.”

     Arriving in the 1920’s in Long Beach, California, Vincent Webb, an efficient sorcerer and expert traveler, led the escapees to safety. Under Vincent’s guidance, the five lived covertly idle, hiding strategically around the globe. Using magic can be deadly and the five can do nothing but wait a lifetime.

     Living present day, Abigail Scott is a young, beautiful and successful partner with a prestigious New York commercial real estate law firm. However successful her career, Abigail’s brilliant mind and incredible work ethic has led her down a lonely, loveless path. As an only child, her life is altered drastically when her mother, Elaina dies, bequeathing her house and all its contents to Abigail. Devastated by grief, Abigail soon discovers her mother befriended a young man and real estate developer, Vince Webb. He’s handsome and cocky and according to her mother’s will, he’s managed to nudge his way into the Scott’s home and life.

     Both Abigail and Vincent want something from each other. Abigail wants Vince gone and Vince wants her house. Once their true motives collide, they’ll have to learn to trust one another, forcing them into unwanted intimacy. When things heat up between these two, the sparks fly and then the real magic begins.

What genre does your book fall under?
Paranormal Romance

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I haven't the faintest. Sorry...

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Good Lord...one sentence? Okay, here goes...

Of the five powerful Svenian beings living on Earth, only Vince has what it takes to claim Abigail's heart and gain a critical ally to fight for his enslaved race.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I'm not sure. Nowadays the burden is on the author to do everything, write, self-edit, market etc... and repeat. At the end of the day, what matters most is that I connect with readers. For now, I'm readying myself to go into any direction I choose. To be continued...

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?I've been working off and on since 2009. And I'm still not done. Almost there, but then I'm sure I'll be forever editing it. Damn my OCD tendencies!

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?I have no idea. I read waaay too much. It's embarrassing to admit really. I honestly haven't read anything like this. I have no doubt there are elements that are similar with other authors works, but beyond that, I have no one to compare.


Who or What inspired you to write this book?
I used to live on an old house in Long Beach, CA when I was a kid. I loved that spooky house and the memories of it still haunts me. The house was a huge inspiration for this book.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? Mystic Deeds explores the scenario of what if we all had our own special powers. I mean I believe in one's ability to manifest things, but what if it was simpler than that, like breathing or the blood pumping through your veins? If you could manifest your own power, what would it be invisibility? Perhaps the Midas touch? Or what about time or dimension travel?
Rules of The Next Big Thing
***Use this format for your post
***Answer the ten questions about your current WIP (Work In Progress)
***Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them.
Include the link of who tagged you and this explanation for the people you have tagged.

Danielle B.
Geek Banter
Melanie Schulz YA Writer
Judy Ann Davis
Cynthia/Read is the New Black

Have a great day!
Mina B.

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like the title.
The 'close, but not weird-close' line made me chuckle.
And don't worry, I have no idea who'd play my characters in a movie...

Elise Fallson said...

Love the synop! And like Alex, the 'close, but not weird-close' line made me lol! (:

S. L. Hennessy said...

I love spooky old houses too. Your story sounds seriously amazing.

David P. King said...

Double-tagged? Nice! :)

michelle said...

I love the names/places you've created: Vard, Merth, Svenians... how on earth do you come up with these words?

Karen Lange said...

Congrats on the tag! I enjoy reading about how authors come up with their ideas.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. It's great to meet you! Have a great week! :)

mshatch said...

I like the title, too, and cool inspiration (the house).

Unknown said...

Nice synopsis. I find writing the synopsis harder than writing the novel. There are a lot of creepy houses in Long Beach; I try to stay away.

Morgan said...

I don't do the "what actors would you choose to play your characters" thing either... I've never been into that!

But I loved this, Mina. WAY fun to read more about you! ;)

Allison said...

Hey, thanks for the tag! I love the description of your book! It sound fantastic! And I can already tell you are a good writer just by these sections here. I am not a big reader of paranormal romance, but this sounds great.

Allison (Geek Banter)