Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A-Z Challenge: "V" is for "Vendetta"

The A-Z Challenge continues this time with the letter "V."  And since I just blogged about a comic book, why not highlight another iconic character V from Vendetta?  There are so many awesome aspects about this character it's mindboggling.  

Based on the original comic book series written by Alan Moore and illustrated by David Lloyd, V for Vendetta surfaced back in the early 80's in Warrior, a British anthology comic published by Quality Comics. The setting as most people know deals with a futuristic UK, where after a nuclear attack, a new totalitarian government forms and thrives, using iron-fisted and violent tactics to rule. After years of oppression our unique hero, V, emerges, sparking an everlasting fuse that threatens to overthrow the government and finally unite the people with the promise of freedom. 


On of my favorite parts is the speech from our famous character V. Have you seen it?


What do you think about this character?  What aspects of him did you like or dislike?  Did he come across as a hero or a fanatic?  


And what happens when a literary character takes on a bigger meaning outside the world of fiction?  Have you seen how there are anonymous clips via the internet where anarchists are using his image to convey their own political message?  Like it or not, this character has spread like wildfire and I doubt we've seen the last of him in film, comic books or elsewhere.


Mina B.

12 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

Awesome post and I love V! I don't think we've seen the last of V either.

Kyra Lennon said...

I've never seen V for Vendetta, mainly because that mask creeps me out!

S. L. Hennessy said...

Hey, you wrote about it too! I think V is a fascinating character. A lot more likable in the movie than the comic book series.

Morgan said...

V FOR VENDETTA IS ONE OF MY TOP 3 FAVORITE MOVIES EVER!!!!!! Phew. Okay, I'm relaxing now. Haha. Seriously though, I love it. ;)

DL Hammons said...

See all of that enthusiasm that Morgan has for the movie, well take about 65% of that and thats me. :) More fanatic than hero.

Nick Wilford said...

I've not seen it, but the clip made me want to.

Mina Burrows said...

@Elise Fallson - I think so too.

@Kyra Lennon - It is creepy huh?

@S. L. Hennessy - I agree.

@Morgan - Me too.

@DL Hammons - LOL. Yeah, I get that. Cool video clip though.

@Nick Wilford - I think you'd like it. Let me know.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I thought it was an awesome movie. He's an extremist who crosses the line, but he forces others to think.

Carrie Butler said...

I haven't seen the movie, but it looks interesting. Thanks for sharing, Mina! :)

Tonja said...

I've never heard of it. No comic books in my house - lots of Pixar. :)

Cecilia Robert said...

I enjoyed watching V. For me, I think he is a hero and a fanatic. Love his character. :)

Mina Burrows said...

@Alex J. Cavanaugh - He does, doesn't he?

@Carrie Butler - Oh, let me know what you think when you do. It's pretty good.

@Tonja - I'm a fan of Pixar too.

@Cecilia M. - Yes, definitely a little bit of both.