Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Book Review: Kresley Cole's No Rest for the Wicked

I just finished Kresely Cole’s No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, Book 2) in her Immortals After Dark series.  What a great read.! All I can say is after reading the first three books, plus reading her latest, Dreams of a Dark Warrior, I now have even more of an appreciation for the Valkyrie.  One word: hilarious.  If you’ve missed my previous reviews see here for Book 1, A Hunger Like No Other and Book 3, Wicked Deeds on a Winter’s Night.
No Rest for the Wicked features Kaderin the Cold Hearted and Sebastian Wroth.  Sebastian is a great warrior who was turned into a vampire by his brother, Nikolai.  During his last human breaths, he begged for mercy and instead was damned by his own sibling.  From that moment on he felt such self loathing; he rejected his family and his immortality.  After centuries of seclusion and only drinking blood provided by butchers, he decides to wither away in his castle and unknowingly became a sitting duck for Kaderin the Cold Hearted.  As a lethal Valkyrie and vampire annihilator, Kaderin never hesitated in her millennia years of existence to deal a death blow to any vampire.  But for some reason this time, she pauses, curious about the brooding beast.  And in that split second, their fates are sealed. How?  Kaderin is Sebastian’s Bride.

In the Lore, all beings have their significant others, Lykae’s have their mates, Demons have their lovers and Vampires have their Brides etc...  You get the picture.  But when a Vampire finds his Bride, something cosmic happens; his dead heart starts pumping full of life and ever more so of desire.  Now Sebastian has a purpose.  Kaderin is his only existence.  But how can Kaderin, with her frigid nature, all of a sudden feel something and especially for him?  She knows she’s his and deep down she wants him too, but what’s a Valkyrie to do?  Their species are sworn enemies of the Vampires.  But Sebastian’s not like the Horde Vampires; he’s a kind hearted soul with an overwhelming need to claim his Bride.  Will Bastian’s warm heart thaw Kaderin’s very soul?  I won’t tell you what happens.  But hot damn if it isn’t that flipping good!
Like I mentioned before, I love those Valkyrie chicks.  And I can’t wait for “Nucking Futs” Nix’s story.  No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, Book 2) has a delicious plot, providing all those feel good moments essential to a paranormal romance.  I loved it and am sure you will too.  For me, it's a 4.
Until next time….looking for something sizzling?  Try Cole's Immortals After Dark series. 

Mina B.

3 comments:

carla said...

I need to get with it and give this series a try.

Schultzies said...

I LOVE that you've started this series! It's one of my favs and each book just gets better and better. I love the idea of the Lore and wish I had a couple Valkyries and Witches on my speed dial. I've read every book so far, and sadly....no book for Nix yet. Great review!

Mina Burrows said...

@Carla - You'll love the Valkyrie and their snarky tudes. Too funny.

@ReadFreek - I want to throw a car just like a Valkyrie. Maybe toss out some lightning too just for good measure. :0)