Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Book Review: Gail Carriger's Soulless

I finally finished Soulless by Gail Carriger.  It’s the first in the Parasol Protectorate series and I truly enjoyed it. I’ve had this one on my list for some time – see my Top Steampunk List I created last year.
Since I’m already a lover of historical romance novels, I was immediately intrigued at reading a book that combines mystical beings with historical romance. This book was kind of a no brainer for me. Anyway, the first thing I have to say is; I love Gail’s writing style. I read a lot, okay. And every now and then I come across a writer where I go WOW. And that just for starters.

Soulless begins with our heroine, Alexia Tarabotti; a soulless spinster who while enjoying her treacle tart is attacked by a ravenous vampire. The exchange was too hilarious for words and as a reader; I became an instant fan of Miss Tarabotti. If you know anything about historical romances or history for that matter – there are an abundant amount of social rules. If a Lady is too smart for her good and reads excessively for heaven’s sake, she’s a bluestocking. And if she’s not married by a certain age, she’s a spinster. Alexia is both of those and much, much more.

As the oldest of three other girls, she’s the odd stepsister/daughter and frankly the outcast of the three. Her mother and step father constantly belittle her looks and intelligence as do her siblings. Naturally with all Alexia’s unbecoming attributes, she’s a target.  But when she’s attacked by that vampire and kills him outright with her parasol, an investigation is launched. Lord Maccon – a werewolf and an upstanding member of society – is sent to investigate.

Alexia and Lord Maccon are equally drawn to one another which vexes them both exceedingly. As the two begin to unravel the mystery of missing/killed vampires and werewolves, a romance unfolds between the two of them. I won’t tell you what happens – you’ll you have to read and find out if Alexia is destined to remain on the shelf or marry the werewolf.

Once the investigation started that was truly when the book kick-started for me. I found the mystical world with the vampire hives and were packs intriguing. With all the paranormal beings though, I have to admit I was surprised to see all the humans involved in the plot. It wasn’t a bad thing, I just didn’t expect it. And those homunculus simulacrum were way creepy on my crepometer. *shivers*

Overall, I liked this book. It was a fun, lighthearted read. So if you like paranormal romance plus maybe you’re a historical romance fan – this book is definitely for you! On my kilometer, Gail Carriger’s Soulless is a 3.75 for me.

Until next time…before you leave the house remember….bring your parasol!

Mina B.

2 comments:

carla said...

Sounds cool!
Don't know if I've ever heard vampires and werewolves used in the same sentence as fun and lighthearted!

Mina Burrows said...

I know. It's pretty hilarious too. :0)