Sunday, October 17, 2010

Book Review: Lara Adrian's Taken By Midnight

Today I’m reviewing Book 8 in Lara Adrian’s Midnight Breed series, Taken By Midnight. Ooooh, I’ve been waiting for this book, let alone review. I tend to devour everything that’s Lara Adrian and Breed when it comes to paranormal romance. I love this series and just can’t seem to get enough. That being said, I wasn’t over the moon with this book, simply because I was left with more questions than answers. But…I still liked it…a lot. WARNING…there are spoilers. Read on…if you dare.
In Book 7, Shades of Midnight, we first met Jenna Darrow, the ex-cop who was held captive by the Ancient. Keeping her barely alive, he fed off of Jenna, a mere human, taunting her with a merciless question: Choose life or death?

The question had merit, especially for Jenna. It had been four long years since Jenna lost her husband and daughter in a terrible car accident. Four years since her life was transformed into a pit of misery. Unknowingly, Jenna answered yes to that fated question. And from that moment on, the Ancient implanted a piece of himself into Jenna; transforming her into God knows what.

Luckily Jenna’s transformation wasn’t nearly as difficult thanks to Brock. I read other reviews that didn’t appreciate their relationship and felt it lacking. I totally disagree. I liked their chemistry and understood their draw towards one another. Jenna, the control freak, had the insatiable need to control things. Brock, the vampire breed warrior, was gifted with the ability to relieve pain. And the moment he met Jenna in Alaska, he siphoned a monstrous amount of Jenna’s pain and heartache without hesitation.

For Brock, there was a possessive sort of protectiveness when it came to Jenna. As the story unfolded, it revealed more about the Jenna’s new mysterious DNA which left me flummoxed. I honestly had more questions than answers about the two of them which frankly drove me crazy. That being said, I did feel a tinge of regret when they were unable to bond. But…that may be a good thing. I sense – or hope, rather- that on the horizon, Adrian answers the unknown about Jenna and her ever-changing DNA. Dear God, the chick actually has dermaglyphs now.

And as for the plot…it wasn’t as riveting as it has been in the past but I still liked it. The action compelled me to read on – which I loved – and I was left wondering what’s to come. With the Ancient dead and the breedmates freed, what type of diabolical plans will Dragos unleash on the Order? I can’t help but think somehow Sterling Chase is involved but I could be wrong.

I’ve said it several times before; I’m a huge fan of Lara Adrian. She writes delicious vampire tales that catapult me to another world…which is the whole point of reading, isn’t it?

If you’re into vampires, romance and a killer plot, than Adrian’s Midnight Breed series is just for you. If your interest in her other books, see below.

Book 1, Kiss of Midnight (my review) 
Book 2, Kiss of Crimson (my review) 
Book 3, Midnight Awakening (my review)
Book 4, Midnight Rising (my review)
Book 5, Veil of Midnight (my review) 
Book 6, Ashes of Midnight (my review)

On my KilloMeter, I give Lara Adrian’s Taken By Midnight a 4.

Until next time…read something breed, try Taken By Midnight.

Mina B.

2 comments:

D Q said...

Thanks Mina, Lara is another new author for me to check out.

Mina Burrows said...

Oh, Deedles...give Lara a try. I promise you'll be glad you did. :)