Friday, September 24, 2010

Book Review: Gwyn Cready’s Aching for Always

I participated in another ARC tour this time for Gwyn Cready’s Aching for Always. (Woot to Rex Robot Reviews.) I’m not sure what to say other than WOW. I think I devoured the book within two days. I really liked it.

I’ve mentioned it several times now on my blog that I have a slight obsession with historical romance novels. And when this book opened up to 1684, I'll admit I was salivating. Contrary to popular belief, I actually like prologues.

Flash forward to the present day we meet Joss O’Malley, daughter of a wealthy map tycoon, Alfred Brand. She’s on the board of the company and is about to marry Rogan Reynolds, the investor who saved her company from tanking. She’s had a fruitful life and now’s ready to take the plunge with a man she thinks is Mr. Right. Within a week of her wedding, Joss sets a course looking for one last fling (a Mr. Mistake) and that’s when she meets someone from her past, Hugh Hawksmoor.

Joss can’t explain why she feels connected to this strapping man but the heat between the two of them is off the map! Unbeknownst to Joss, Hugh swore an oath to avenge the death of his brother, Granite. It was Alfred who killed his brother and stole his life (as well as others) all those hundreds of years ago. Did I say hundreds of years? You betcha! It’s all about time travel in this book and a map is what links the past and present together (Thanks to Joss’s mother.)

Hugh and his colleagues have one thing in mind when the reach present day…make Brand suffer and rewrite history. That all goes out the window (sort of) once he meets Joss.

I truly can't decide what it is about this book. I knew immediately there was a time travel aspect to it. That’s hardly a spoiler because frankly this book has so many twists and turns you’ll be enthralled as I was – I’m sure. A few times I recalled practically dropping the book. Taha! What also was cool for me – although others may not appreciate it – at times it was like reading two different novels. The story that takes place in Pittsburgh in present day and then it goes back in time to England early 1700’s. Cready entwines both tales in such a way the book nearly turns the pages for you.

I really couldn’t put this book down which in my opinion is a good thing. If you like a historical romances well seasoned with a magic one, then you’ll love this book.

On the Mina Burrows KilloMeter, I give Aching for Always, 3.75.

Until next time…read something by Gwyn Cready.

Mina B.

2 comments:

Rex Robot Reviews said...

I am so glad you enjoyed this one! Thanks for participating in my ARC Tours :) Great review, by the way.

Mina Burrows said...

Are you kidding me? I totally love your ARC tours. Thank you!