Friday, June 4, 2010

A Paranormal Book Review: Lara Adrian's Ashes of Midnight

In Book 6 of Lara Adrian’s Midnight Breed Series, Ashes of Midnight, the hero featured is none other than the beloved breed warrior, Andreas Reichen.

He’s dashing, debonair and sexy as hell which was why I was clamoring with anticipation to read this tale. Adrian’s books are fuel for the reading demons that possess me. I know when all else fails and I can’t find a good paranormal romance book to save my life, I can turn to one of Adrian’s breed warriors to satiate my literary thirst.
Andreas's breed character is a burst of fresh air in this dark paranormal series. On the surface he’s carefree, jovial but deep down; he’s pure breed – which means he’s lethal. I can’t say this enough; I loved Andreas’s character. We first meet Andreas in Book 3, Midnight Awakening(click here to read my review) – Tegan and the Order seek help from Andreas, the Director of the Berlin Darkhaven. You either like him or love him, there’s no denying it. And then sparks fly in Book 5, Veil of Midnight, transforming Andreas, the once charismatic breed warrior, into a deadly pyromaniac (click here for my review). An old enemy of Andreas resurfaced and attacked his home, killing his family and spinning Andreas out of control.

In Ashes of Midnight, Adrian introduces a past love of Andreas, Claire. She’s been long gone from his life since he abandoned her and she ended up marrying an unworthy breed warrior, Roth. It’s no surprise that Roth turns out to be another evil player in Dragos’s sick game of world/breed domination. With this trio - Andreas, Claire and Roth - Ashes of Midnight makes for some killer reading. What I loved most about this book is Adrian does what she does best; she breaks yet another one of her cardinal rules. If you’re a fan, then you know the bonding ritual between a breed and breedmate is sacred, connecting two beings eternally, irrevocably. But what Andreas does to Claire, after Roth kills his family is delicious and sets reader’s tongues wagging for more. I won’t spoil it. But I will hint...two is company and three is definitely a crowd. You simply must read this book.

On the Mina Burrow’s KilloMeter, I give Ashes of Midnight, a 4.

Until next time….read a Midnight Breed Series already.

Mina B.

No comments: